Tom Hess is a professional touring guitarist and recording artist. He teaches, trains and mentors musicians from around the world.
Visit his site to discover highly effective music learning resources, guitar lessons, music career mentoring and tools including free online assessments, surveys, mini courses and more.
Send comments or questions to Tom Hess.
© Tom Hess
Click here for a printer-friendly version of "The Only Way To Succeed As A Guitar Teacher".
Any guitar teacher who achieves great success fully understands how they share a lot in common with anyone who has ever climbed to the top of Mt. Everest. Not sure what I mean?|
Here are the similarities:
1. Only a tiny percentage of people have ever achieved massive success teaching guitar or the feat of climbing to the peak of Everest.
2. Climbing to the peak of Mt. Everest is a truly unforgettable, life-changing experience that that few people will ever know. Similarly, growing a massively successful guitar teaching business will give you a sense of satisfaction in terms of personal fulfillment and freedom that very few people ever experience. It's a very special accomplishment to run the best guitar teaching business in your area and transform the musical lives of hundreds of students each year.
3. No one has ever accomplished either one of these tasks without the expert guidance and coaching of an experienced trainer. Many guitar teachers have tried to become successful on their own and failed, while many mountaineers have tried to climb Everest without a trainer and failed (or died).
How Does This Relate To You As A Guitar Teacher?
From this day forward, think of achieving your guitar teaching goals like climbing to the peak of Mt. Everest. At the summit, there is a shining chest. After this chest is opened, the person who opens it is granted the power to achieve his highest guitar teaching goals. For example, he would make over a hundred thousand dollars annually through teaching alone, transform all of his guitar students from average players into awesome players or gain the type of freedom that only comes from running a successful business.
If you were aware that the only thing you needed to do to get these things was climb to the top of the mountain and open the chest, would you do it? Assuming you would, you must do everything within your power to reach the summit in as little time as possible.
Of course, no one would attempt to climb to the top of Mt. Everest without the guidance of an experienced trainer and expect to succeed (or survive). Likewise, trying to develop a successful guitar teaching business with zero training will lead you down the exact same path of failure.
Why Do Guitar Teachers Fail When They Don't Work With A Trainer?
Creating your own successful guitar teaching business requires a lot more than just knowing how to 'teach music'. Fact is, the most successful guitar teachers focus intensely on consistent improvement in the following seven areas of their business:
All of these aspects of your guitar teaching business require acquiring a unique set of skills in order to become successful, much like climbing Everest requires many new skills to be developed before one can make it to the summit. That said, most guitar teachers try to build their businesses on their own and set themselves up to fail for these reasons:
- Retaining guitar students for years at a time because your teaching consistently gets big results for them
- Understanding how to take care of everyday guitar teaching tasks so you can have more time for yourself and your students
- Getting much bigger and better results for your students than anyone else by expanding your guitar teaching effectiveness
- Getting contacted by countless people every month of the year who are looking for guitar lessons
- Helping potential students understand why they must take lessons with you (and only you) if they want to become great players
- Building your guitar teaching business using referrals and word of mouth marketing
- Being able to easily attract 'former' students to get them to take lessons with you again
1. They were never even aware of the seven categories of business growth listed above.
2. They don't understand 'what' they must do to grow in these areas or 'how' to do it.
My intention is not to scare you with this information. Instead, I'm simply letting you know the reality of what it takes to become a successful guitar teacher (from my years of experience mentoring guitar teachers just like you).
The truth is, it's fairly easy to learn the steps for becoming highly successful in the 7 areas mentioned above (anyone can do it). Additionally, all the challenges that guitar teachers come up against can be overcome with proper coaching, training and mentoring.
Claim your treasure at the top of the mountain, teach guitar for a living by working with an experienced guitar teacher trainer.
Additional Columns by Tom Hess